How to Update Galaxy S GT-I9000 to ThinkingBridge Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM
How to Flash/Install ThinkingBridge ROM on Galaxy S GT-I9000 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM/Firmware. ThinkingBridge ROM is an Android aftermarket firmware which is based on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and is built with the purpose to offer maximum stability, high performance and an appealing UI. This ROM is based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) and CyanogenMod (CM10.1) code. It comes with tons of features that are listed below. Before proceeding, make sure you check out the important tips that I have written below and keep them in mind.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. Proceed at your own risk.
- Make sure your Galaxy S is rooted and have ClockworkMod Recovery installed -> How to Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S I9000.
- This Tutorial for flashing ThinkingBridge ROM is only for Galaxy S GT-I9000, don’t try this on any other variants of Galaxy S GT-I9000.
- Charge your battery up to 70%.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- This installation will wipe your data. Make sure to backup your phone data:
- Install Galaxy S GT-I9000 USB drivers -> Download USB Drivers for Galaxy S GT-I9000.
I have written this detailed and easy to understand step-by-step instructions guide on How to Update Galaxy S GT-I9000 to ThinkingBridge Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM. If you are used to flashing custom roms on your device, then this should not be any different for you. However, for beginners, it is recommended that you read the whole tutorial before flashing this Custom Rom. Check out ThinkingBridge ROM’s features below and then we’ll proceed towards the Installation.
ThinkingBridge ROM Features and Details:
- ThinkingBridge Welcome App (About the Team, Changelogs & Contacts us)
- ThinkingBridge Wallpapers App
- CyanogenMod FileManager
- DSP Manager
- Trebuchet Launcher
- ROM Settings
- General UI (Add Custom Boot Animations, Custom Carrier Label, StatusBar Brightness slider, Transparency Settings, UI Mode etc.
- Power Menu (Select what to show up in Power Menu and other Power Menu settings)
- Navigation Bar (Enable/Disable NavBar, Add/Remove buttons, change colors, configure widgets etc.)
- Navigation Ring (Set NavBar Ring targets)
- Hardware Keys (Enable custom actions and enable 3-dot overflow menu)
- Pie Controls (Enable/Disable pie, change colors, Trigger Area, Size, Alignment, Gravity etc.)
- Toggles (Add/Change/Remove toggles, change toggle style etc.)
- Battery (Change the battery icon on StatusBar, change colors, battery bar etc.)
- Clock (Change the Clock icon on StatusBar, change colors, AM/PM Style, Alignment, clock actions etc.)
- Signal (Change Signal icon on StatusBar, change colors, hide Signal bar etc.)
- Lockscreen (Change lock options, modify widgets, change colors etc.)
- Custom Shortcuts (Set custom shortcuts to the lockscreen)
- Custom Targets (Add custom targets to the lockscreen)
- Lock Clock Widget (Modify/change/remove the clock on the lockscreen)
- Sound (Enable volume panel, flip phone settings, headphones and bluetooth headset otpions etc.)
- Theme Engine Support
- Parition Info (Information about /System, /data, /cache, /sdcard and EXT partitions)
- CPU Settings (Change Governor, Min/Max CPU freq., scheduler)
- Koush’s Superuser App
- New Custom Toggles (Favourite contact, Clock toggle, Fast Charge, Pie, Quick record, Quiet hours, Screenshot, Signal, Sleep, Sound state, USB tether, WiFi tether, Current user)
- Custom Camera features
How to Update Galaxy S GT-I9000 to ThinkingBridge Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM:
- Download Android 4.2.2 ThinkingBridge ROM (thinkingbridge_unofficial_galaxysmtd_beta4_13-03-24.zip)
- Download Google Apps (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip)
Step 1 – Download the required files mentioned above for Galaxy S to your computer.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Galaxy S USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded thinkingbridge_unofficial_galaxysmtd_beta4_13-03-24.zip and Google Apps zip files to your SD card. Make sure the files are in the SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode. Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together.
NOTE: Screenshots of the ClockworkMod Recovery may change as new versions are released.
Step 6 – Once you are in ClockworkMod Recovery, select perform a full data wipe by selecting “wipe data/factory reset” as shown below. Use the Power button to select everything while in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 – Then, perform a cache wipe by selecting “wipe cache partition” as you can see in the image below.
Step 8 – Now this is optional, but it is recommended to perform a wipe of your dalvik cache as well. You will not get into boot loops or any other errors. From CWM recovery, go to ‘advanced’ and then select “wipe dalvik cache”.
Step 9 – Then go back to the main recovery screen and select “install zip from SD card”.
Step 10 – Now select “choose zip from sdcard”. Using your volume keys, navigate to the thinkingbridge_unofficial_galaxysmtd_beta4_13-03-24.zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Google Apps: Repeat the above step for the Gapps zip file as well and install it on your phone.
Step 11 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back+++++” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu as show below.
Your Galaxy S I9000 will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! You have successfully updated your Galaxy S to ThinkingBridge ROM Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM! Go to Settings > About phone to verify.